'Dark Summer' Final Opening Sequence

Preliminary Task

Monday, March 29, 2010

7. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

The preliminary and the final piece had a similar brief in showing a continuous sequence that works well without any continuity errors and having a narrative. I feel that I have learnt a huge amount since the preliminary task and have developed my skills with both planning, filming and editing. I have been a lot more careful and have been looking out for continuity errors constantly. I didn’t make huge mistakes and suggested ideas and was open to ideas from my group. I learnt how to edit effectively and the different variety of shots that were possible and the effects that each of these shots achieve. I am very proud of our final sequence and have worked very hard to make this opening.



Preliminary Brief


A continuity task involving filming and editing:

• a character opening a door
• crossing a room
• Sitting in front of another character and exchanging a couple of lines of dialogue with them.
This task should demonstrate:

• match on action
• shot/reverse shot
• the 180-degree rule





Main Brief


To produce a 2 minute sequence for a fictional film.
Your sequence must include:



 Titles Throughout
Some form of copyright-free soundtrack, including sound fx
 Evidence of understanding of continuity editing.
Clear generic signifiers through character, action, mise-en-scene, dialogue etc...


Your Sequence should be based on:


 A single narrative idea or event
Only a few characters
One location ideally


Question 7 Reflections[1]



I also feel that I have learnt more about continuity errors in knowing the main rules to remember, and keeping my eye out for any errors that may occur in our final piece. The two that I felt I stuck by most and learnt about, was the 180 degree rule, match on action and the 30 degree rule and through learning the importance of these, I was able to help make a free-flowing opening that I was proud of.



Overall, I think the change between the two projects are drastic and my skills range a lot more now in compared to a few months ago. There is a wider variety of shots and we have worked on narrative, acting and technology to produce a piece, which I am very pleased with. I learnt that I am good at working in a team and have enjoyed the whole process immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment